Time Management
When I was in high school trying to figure out what I wanted to do as a career, I thought I could make it somewhere in the art field. I thought that I could make lots of money just drawing illustrations or making designs like all the artists I learned about in art class. Young, naive Hannah thought it would be so simple to sell work, make money, get her name out there, and marry *insert handsome male celebrity name here*. It wasn't until I finished high school did I realize making money or finding a job in art and design is easier said then done. Nothing happens overnight. Making art became a side job in addition to my actual, boring job, something I didn't want to happen.
In this week's Steal Like an Artist chapter, Kleon tells us how important it is to take care of ourselves, stay out of debt by keeping our day jobs, and keep track of what we do on a daily basis. Kleon reassures us that the image everyone has of the creative genius artist is mostly fabricated and romanticized.
Being a designer takes so much time. Since I've gotten older, gotten a job and a class schedule, it hasn't been too easy trying to fit working on my art or any ideas. I've really had to pick which of the things I enjoy doing won't fit into my schedule. Unfortunately, working on side projects was one of the things that didn't make it.

I try to make it a habit to keep an agenda or a calendar with a list of everything I need to do. I like to get blank calendars so I can have some fun and personalize them. I like to keep them as organized as I can, so I usually color code things like classes or important things like appointments.
I also like to write things on my wall calendar, as well. After reading this chapter, I color coded my this calendar. This way, everything is together.
I took Kleon's advice and made a log of how I spend my time (I'm working on a better layout for my continuing log). After writing down some of the notable things I did over the week, I noticed that I haven't really made much time in my day to work on things like side projects.
I'm really going to have to fix my schedule and what I make my priorities!
I'd like to make more of an effort to take some time to work on my other projects.
In this week's Steal Like an Artist chapter, Kleon tells us how important it is to take care of ourselves, stay out of debt by keeping our day jobs, and keep track of what we do on a daily basis. Kleon reassures us that the image everyone has of the creative genius artist is mostly fabricated and romanticized.
Being a designer takes so much time. Since I've gotten older, gotten a job and a class schedule, it hasn't been too easy trying to fit working on my art or any ideas. I've really had to pick which of the things I enjoy doing won't fit into my schedule. Unfortunately, working on side projects was one of the things that didn't make it.
I try to make it a habit to keep an agenda or a calendar with a list of everything I need to do. I like to get blank calendars so I can have some fun and personalize them. I like to keep them as organized as I can, so I usually color code things like classes or important things like appointments.
I also like to write things on my wall calendar, as well. After reading this chapter, I color coded my this calendar. This way, everything is together.
I took Kleon's advice and made a log of how I spend my time (I'm working on a better layout for my continuing log). After writing down some of the notable things I did over the week, I noticed that I haven't really made much time in my day to work on things like side projects.
I'm really going to have to fix my schedule and what I make my priorities!
I'd like to make more of an effort to take some time to work on my other projects.
Comments
Post a Comment