Steal Like an Artist (Ch.1 )
Before I began reading, I thought that this was going to be another text book to read. Now that I've read the first chapter (and a few more), I find it very interesting! The author has helpful advice to give about creating work and finding inspiration. Each chapter has a thought or scenario that feels relatable to something I've gone through in the creative process.
Personally, I wouldn't feel right stealing an idea from someone else. However, the author states in the book that "all creative work builds on what came before. Nothing is completely original".
When I was a kid, I had a lot of books on how to draw different things from Marvel superheroes to Disney Princesses. Now that I've older, I see people taking these concepts of others' ideas and putting their own spin on them.
I think that in order to become a better collector, I need to start looking for things to collect! I don't often search out things to draw or images to collect on a daily basis like a good collector probably should be doing. Oftentimes, when I'm looking to pass the time, I will browse sites like Pinterest or Tumblr just to see the art.
If I go on a trip or a museum, I usually take a sketch book with me. I recently returned from studying abroad in Ireland. I brought a travel journal with me there, along to a few other countries, to keep track of everything I saw. I made a few sketches of the places I visited. I also collected pieces of a few brochures, tickets and native designs to take back home with me for inspiration.
It does seem that originality is more highly valued in art, but again, "nothing is completely original". I often see many of the same artistic styles such Art Deco or Art Nouveau being used over and over again. It's defiantly more of a challenge to be original these days.
I do like to use the work of others as practice. Sometimes, to better understand how a certain work is successful. By doing this, I can learn what elements work to make a piece successful and incorporate these in my own work in my style.
When it comes to storing my internet links and digital sources, Pinterest and Google Drive have always been favorites of mine. I find that it makes it easier to organize and store different images and sources that I might need.
Personally, I wouldn't feel right stealing an idea from someone else. However, the author states in the book that "all creative work builds on what came before. Nothing is completely original".
When I was a kid, I had a lot of books on how to draw different things from Marvel superheroes to Disney Princesses. Now that I've older, I see people taking these concepts of others' ideas and putting their own spin on them.
I think that in order to become a better collector, I need to start looking for things to collect! I don't often search out things to draw or images to collect on a daily basis like a good collector probably should be doing. Oftentimes, when I'm looking to pass the time, I will browse sites like Pinterest or Tumblr just to see the art.
If I go on a trip or a museum, I usually take a sketch book with me. I recently returned from studying abroad in Ireland. I brought a travel journal with me there, along to a few other countries, to keep track of everything I saw. I made a few sketches of the places I visited. I also collected pieces of a few brochures, tickets and native designs to take back home with me for inspiration.
It does seem that originality is more highly valued in art, but again, "nothing is completely original". I often see many of the same artistic styles such Art Deco or Art Nouveau being used over and over again. It's defiantly more of a challenge to be original these days.
I do like to use the work of others as practice. Sometimes, to better understand how a certain work is successful. By doing this, I can learn what elements work to make a piece successful and incorporate these in my own work in my style.
When it comes to storing my internet links and digital sources, Pinterest and Google Drive have always been favorites of mine. I find that it makes it easier to organize and store different images and sources that I might need.
In the book, the author discusses "climbing your family tree" to look for inspiration. I have decided to look to the designs of Kate Moross.
She has such a fun, playful style to her work. I always enjoy looking through them for inspiration with design concepts and typography.
"Your job is to collect good ideas. The more good ideas you collect, the more you can choose from and be influenced by."
I think that this quote gives some good advice on how to go about finding inspiration. If I want my work to be more successful, I will have to start putting this quote into practice.


Comments
Post a Comment