Think Like a Smart Person
This week's chapter in Steal Like an Artist had all kinds of good advice about what kinds of people to follow for inspiration, making work instead of being angry, and keeping a praise file.
In this chapter, Kleon tells us that we need to ignore our enemies and make friends. "That means following the best people online, the people who are way smarter than you". I will often be on sites like Tumblr or Strikingly to look at the work of other people. I'll look at what they've done and think, "wow, that's such a great idea! I wish I could think like they do!" So, I'll start following these people, trying to see how I can make my work successful like theirs, but still my own.
Here are a few of those smart people I follow:
- Jessica Hische
-Taylor Humby
-Miranda Zimmerman
-Eminem
-Dayna Corbitt
-Donald Glover
-Justin Roiland
-Rebecca Sugar
-Alex Hirsche
-Pendleton Ward
It was hard to pick just one, so I posted links to a few of the people I follow to share:
Miranda Zimmerman's Site
Rebecca Sugar Art
Taylor Humby's Art
Jessica Hische's Site
As for my fan letter, it was very difficult to narrow it down to one person to write to. I chose to write to Rebecca Sugar:
Dear Rebecca Sugar,
I absolutely adore your work! I really didn't discover you until I first began looking into your show, Stephen Universe. It didn't take me long to get sucked into the story of the show and copying the style of its art for fun. Soon after all this, I began researching more on your work and your career. You've been such an inspiration to me through your art, music and writing. I actually started playing ukulele because of you and the songs you have written for it. I really admire the creativeness of your career and the feelings you convey through it. I enjoy keeping up with what you do in your career!
-Hannah Wilson
As for Henry Rollins,
I didn't realize who he was until I researched him. I recognized him from the band, Black Flag. I had no idea in did so many other things! He's a comedian, an activist, a journalist, radio host, publisher, an actor (I saw he was in an episode of Adventure Time), and a musician in a few bands as well as a solo career. I was really impressed with what a versatile person he is. He just made me wonder how one person could be so successful in so many things!
In this chapter, Kleon tells us that we need to ignore our enemies and make friends. "That means following the best people online, the people who are way smarter than you". I will often be on sites like Tumblr or Strikingly to look at the work of other people. I'll look at what they've done and think, "wow, that's such a great idea! I wish I could think like they do!" So, I'll start following these people, trying to see how I can make my work successful like theirs, but still my own.
Here are a few of those smart people I follow:
- Jessica Hische
-Taylor Humby
-Miranda Zimmerman
-Eminem
-Dayna Corbitt
-Donald Glover
-Justin Roiland
-Rebecca Sugar
-Alex Hirsche
-Pendleton Ward
It was hard to pick just one, so I posted links to a few of the people I follow to share:
Miranda Zimmerman's Site
Rebecca Sugar Art
Taylor Humby's Art
Jessica Hische's Site
As for my fan letter, it was very difficult to narrow it down to one person to write to. I chose to write to Rebecca Sugar:
Dear Rebecca Sugar,
I absolutely adore your work! I really didn't discover you until I first began looking into your show, Stephen Universe. It didn't take me long to get sucked into the story of the show and copying the style of its art for fun. Soon after all this, I began researching more on your work and your career. You've been such an inspiration to me through your art, music and writing. I actually started playing ukulele because of you and the songs you have written for it. I really admire the creativeness of your career and the feelings you convey through it. I enjoy keeping up with what you do in your career!
-Hannah Wilson
As for Henry Rollins,
I didn't realize who he was until I researched him. I recognized him from the band, Black Flag. I had no idea in did so many other things! He's a comedian, an activist, a journalist, radio host, publisher, an actor (I saw he was in an episode of Adventure Time), and a musician in a few bands as well as a solo career. I was really impressed with what a versatile person he is. He just made me wonder how one person could be so successful in so many things!
Comments
Post a Comment