Books and Magic

"There's magic in being surrounded by books"



I couldn't agree more with this quote by Austin Kleon.  Kleon instructs us to collect books, even if we don't read them right away.  I often have this problem when I go into book stores.  I tell myself that I'm just "going to look".  Whether they're new or used, a book on science or drawing, I usually end up looking through them.  Kleon says to be curious about the world you live in.  You really need to seek things out.  Even if you're not thinking about looking.  You need to be actively looking, actively collecting if you want to see how other designers are working. 

Kleon encourages us to look things up and chase after references. He even tells us to "google it".  I end up doing that quite often on the Google site when I need a question answered or an image look up.  I start out looking for one thing, soon following a string of other questions, and so on from there.






It took me a while to settle on just ten books.  I had plenty of titles and cover that caught my eye.  With each shelf I looked through, I had to pick a few books up and look through them.  Each of these books is something I'm interested in, or the cover art intrigued me.








In Kleon's recommended reading list, I have chosen "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud
Image result for scott mccloud understanding comics









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steal Like an Artist (Ch.1 )

Productive Procrastination

Introduction