The Artist Fan Fic

Hello, everyone!

So, this week, we were asked to read Ch. 3 of Steal Like and Artist.
As I was reading through the chapter, most of the content sounded familiar.  Kleon seemed to be discussing things that I already do and have been doing for years!

Kleon uses examples of himself and others about making "fan fiction", or the kind of stories or music we would want to read/hear for ourselves.  Not long ago, I found some old (and not very good) drawings I did when I was about 5.  I had just gone to see Star Wars Episode I.  I was so excited by what I had just seen that I went home and drew pictures of the characters.  These days, if I watch a movie or read a story I really enjoy, I have to draw things out for it.  When I get impatient about waiting for the next movie to come out, I'll make art for it.

In the book, Kleon uses Bradford Cox as an example.  While Cox waited for the new album of his favorite band to be released, he would write and record a "fake"version of what he wanted the new album to sound like.  In doing so, ended up creating his own work from it.

I think that if I were to re-write my life I might make it a little more exciting.  I would for sure write in some more adventures that I go on more often than really go on.  I would re-write myself as a more confident, brave character.  I would write myself into a story where I take more chances and try more things.  So, if I were able to write my own future out, I think I'd write myself in a place I never thought I would end up.  I would be happy and successful in the field I ended up in.
I might make myself very rich.  I'd be rich enough to later become the night-time vigilante of the city....but I'm getting carried away.

For my "dream collaboration" I chose a two illustrators that I've always enjoyed: Felecia Bond and Tony DiTerlizzi. I always thought it would be fun to illustrate a book like they do, so here's what it might look like if we collaborated:




Design by Felicia Bond
Design by Hannah Wilson

Design by Tony DiTerlizzi


Design by Hannah Wilson























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steal Like an Artist (Ch.1 )

Productive Procrastination

Introduction