Hello, everyone!
Welcome to another edition of my blog!
In this week's post, we were asked to read chapter 2 of "Steal Like an Artist". This chapter seem to focus on figuring out who you are, what you want to be, and going beyond the surface of who our heroes are and what they create.
For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed creating things. When I was very young, I just liked to draw or paint whatever I saw or what came to mind. When I was older, I wanted to do more with my work, but realized I had no idea what I was doing (There are still some days where I still don't know). So, I felt some relief when I read chapter 2 this week. At the beginning of this chapter, Kleon tells us that NO ONE really knows what they are doing.
"Ask anybody doing truly creative work, " Kleon says. "...and they'll tell you the truth: They don't know where the good stuff comes from."
From there, Kleon tells us to "fake it 'til you make it". We need to act for the part we want, dress for the job we want, pretend to be making something until we actually make something.
"We learn by copying". Kleon goes on to tell us about all these successful people known for their own ways who started out copying their heroes. We try to copy who we admire. We try to be them, but not ourselves. After we've been copying these people for so long, we soon give up and just start doing our own thing. I think that's how we develop our own ways and styles. We find what we like about someone else and we try to copy off of them. In doing so, we find out how we're not like them, and instead develop our own look and style.
Kleon stresses the difference between imitating and emulating. To "imitate" is to simply copy. To "emulate" is going further than imitation. Emulating is studying a work much deeper, and from that, breaking through to your own styles and ideas.
The graph on pg. 39 looked like it was a good guideline for emulating our mentors. It specifies both the good and the bad ways to go off of those whose work inspires us. When I look through the work of designers I admire, I'll remember this graph. Am I really studying their work? Or just skimming the surface? Am I giving them credit for the original work I was inspired by? Or am I just plagiarizing it and claiming it as my own?
I've decided to research a different designer. I recently discovered Lauren Hom. Through her, I was able to find other designers she was inspired by such as Becca Clason, Tina Roth Eisenberg and Maricor/Marica.
This chapter felt very reassuring to read. I have days where I feel confident about what I'm working on and about the ideas I come up with for a project. Then, I have other days where I'm struggling and I feel unsure about everything I've done or what I'm doing. So, to know that not everyone knows what they're doing or that they copy others was comforting to learn.
Welcome to another edition of my blog!
In this week's post, we were asked to read chapter 2 of "Steal Like an Artist". This chapter seem to focus on figuring out who you are, what you want to be, and going beyond the surface of who our heroes are and what they create.
For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed creating things. When I was very young, I just liked to draw or paint whatever I saw or what came to mind. When I was older, I wanted to do more with my work, but realized I had no idea what I was doing (There are still some days where I still don't know). So, I felt some relief when I read chapter 2 this week. At the beginning of this chapter, Kleon tells us that NO ONE really knows what they are doing.
"Ask anybody doing truly creative work, " Kleon says. "...and they'll tell you the truth: They don't know where the good stuff comes from."
From there, Kleon tells us to "fake it 'til you make it". We need to act for the part we want, dress for the job we want, pretend to be making something until we actually make something.
"We learn by copying". Kleon goes on to tell us about all these successful people known for their own ways who started out copying their heroes. We try to copy who we admire. We try to be them, but not ourselves. After we've been copying these people for so long, we soon give up and just start doing our own thing. I think that's how we develop our own ways and styles. We find what we like about someone else and we try to copy off of them. In doing so, we find out how we're not like them, and instead develop our own look and style.
Kleon stresses the difference between imitating and emulating. To "imitate" is to simply copy. To "emulate" is going further than imitation. Emulating is studying a work much deeper, and from that, breaking through to your own styles and ideas.
The graph on pg. 39 looked like it was a good guideline for emulating our mentors. It specifies both the good and the bad ways to go off of those whose work inspires us. When I look through the work of designers I admire, I'll remember this graph. Am I really studying their work? Or just skimming the surface? Am I giving them credit for the original work I was inspired by? Or am I just plagiarizing it and claiming it as my own?
I've decided to research a different designer. I recently discovered Lauren Hom. Through her, I was able to find other designers she was inspired by such as Becca Clason, Tina Roth Eisenberg and Maricor/Marica.
Here are some examples of Lauren Hom's work:
Here are a few drawings I made with some inspiration from Lauren:
I had a lot of fun making the long, curly type!
This chapter felt very reassuring to read. I have days where I feel confident about what I'm working on and about the ideas I come up with for a project. Then, I have other days where I'm struggling and I feel unsure about everything I've done or what I'm doing. So, to know that not everyone knows what they're doing or that they copy others was comforting to learn.





Comments
Post a Comment