Remix Like an Artist

"We are shaped and fashioned by what we love"
I always keep coffee near by to boost my creativity
 
 

This week, we re-read the first chapter of Steal Like an Artist.  Going back through the chapter, I took a closer look at some of quotes in the "Genealogy of Ideas" section.
 
"Every new idea is just a mash up or a remix of one or more previous ideas...You are, in fact, a mash up of  what you choose to let in to your life". 
 
I've gone through a quite a bit of variety in my life.  As a kid, I loved the Beatles but grew up to love Eminem.  I started out with a great love of every thing Disney princess and sparkles.  Today, I'm more interested everything Doctor Who and Star Wars.  Once in a while, I'll be cleaning out a drawer or a closet and find things that I lost or put away.  Whether it's a CD or a sweater, I'll sometimes think, "why did I love this so much back then?" (i.e. all my Nickelback albums from junior high).
 
As time as passed, my interests and desires have changed.  Sometimes, these are influenced by people I spend time with or the places I spend time in.  Whichever it may be, if I find it new or interesting, I feel the need to learn more from them.  I really enjoy talking to new people and learning from them. 
Even some of old friends, I find myself still learning from them about life experiences or their own outlook on life.  Even going to new places I find broadens my horizons.  I've found influence in other countries as well as in new places I find in Illinois. 
 
I had chosen designer Kate Moross as my mentor last week.  I had some difficulty when trying to find out more about the designers who influenced Moross.  I found not a who but a what. 
 
 
In an interview, Moross stated, "Inspiration is a horrible word!  It's not big enough to represent the thoughsands of visual messages and influences on is bombarded with every day.  For me, it's things like sweet wrappers, street wear, shop fronts, packaging, science, theory, television, the internet - all these things are inescapable and have a subconscious effect on everything I do." (creativebloq.com, 2008)
From reading this interview, it seems that Kate Moross finds inspiration in just about everything that other designers create.  She sounds like an active collector taking in everything she sees and looking more closely at the designs that people miss.  Moross has a different approach when it comes to inspiration.  You might say that she's inspired by a mash up of different ideas!
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Steal Like an Artist (Ch.1 )

Productive Procrastination

Introduction